Thursday, March 09, 2006

Abnormal week 8

Another fun week with larry. This week we talked about anxiety disorders and panic attack. Both of these I find particularly interesting because I have not ever chosen to experience either. Even the very idea of them seems very foreign to me because I place a lot of power in my power to think and deconstruct my feelings and I believe that anxiety disorders and panic attacks often come from ones inablity to trust themselves and their feelings. I know that I can organize and express my feelings mostly consciously and that I don't choose attacks or disorders to do this. It seems strange to me that panic attacks would suddenly happpen with no previous signs, because they seem so scripted, the symptoms are so standardized. I bring this up because I feel like one has to learn how to have a panic attack because they are such an elaborate process. Also another thing about a diagnosis is it gives the person permission to have the symptom it becomes an acceptable release. In the beginning it is questioned and maybe even medications are prescribed but the end result is that when they happen regularly they are dealt with and accepted as being "panic attacks", which are seemingly out of the persons control, rather than treated as unconscious emotion and anxieties expressing temselves. This is mostly the issue I take with any kind of diagnosis because they pigeon hole people into categories of feeling and their whole being begins to get structured around this disorder or attacks that they experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home